The following key messages come out of the Communication Strategy which was developed based on feedback received from a membership survey in late 2013.
- The Congress of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nurses and Midwives represents Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander nurses and midwives across Australia.
- We provide a voice for our workers in the national arena and support them with relevant information, mentoring and advocacy.
- We encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people into the profession and support them to stay working within it.
- CATSINaM is also dedicated to ensuring all nurses and midwives have meaningful cultural awareness training to ensure they can provide the best care for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander nurses and midwives are a critical part of Australia’s health system and provide high quality care both in mainstream hospital and in Aboriginal health services across the country.
- They play a large role in closing the health gap between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people because they understand the unique needs of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in their care.