Who We Are
CATSINaM’s vision is that Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Nurses and Midwives play a pivotal and respected role in achieving health equality across the Australian health system for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Peoples and communities.
CATSINaM honours a holistic and culturally safe approach to achieving optimal health and wellbeing for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Peoples and communities. We develop and promote strategies to ensure that this holistic and culturally safe approach is understood and applied by Nurses and Midwives working in Australia.
Our Core Values
Our core values encompass respect, confidentiality, accountability, honesty and fairness.
Our principles are:
- We are Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander People before we are Nurses and Midwives
- We are the First Nation’s People and intend to maintain our cultural heritage
- We recognise that we are on a lifelong journey with cultural obligations and commitments to our communities
- We challenge the western health model in which nurses and midwives live and work because it promotes separation, hierarchy and power struggles, and denies the emotional, social, spiritual and political aspects of health in our holistic way
- The philosophy that promotes all people as equal, or treated the same, denies the difference and cultural identity
- Justice and recognition of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander history is a requirement of reconciliation
- We are the experts in our own health and believe our experience and worldview challenges the established models of health. Non-Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People can learn and benefit from our experiences