Newsletter July 2023
Modernisation of the CATSINaM Constitution
Good governance for organisations involves operating lawfully and being accountable and responsible. A critical component of good governance is ensuring CATSINaM’s Constitution is routinely reviewed and modernised to align with the Corporations Act 2001, ACNC (Australian Charities and Not for profits Commission) Governance Standards and societal expectations. CATSINaM will hold a series of webinars and face-to-face Q&A sessions on modernising the Constitution. If you have any queries about this work, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org This weblink will help you to know more about the Corporations Act 2001
If you would like to know more about ACNC Governance Standards – click here – ACNC Governance Standards | ACNC
Join us at the CATSINaM Regional Congress 2023
The Congress showcases a mix of panel discussions, professional development training and workshops from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander nurses and midwives. It will conclude with a Congress Dinner on Thursday 30th November.
- Places are limited so Register now.
- If you are unable to attend but want to promote your organisation, CATSINaM also welcomes sponsorships.
We look forward to seeing you Peppers Salt Resort & Spa in Bundjalung Country, Kingscliff, NSW, from Tuesday, 28th to Thursday, 30th November 2023. Applications close on the 30th of September 2023.
For more information, contact email@example.com
Murra Mullangari: Introduction to Cultural Safety and Cultural Humility
Cultural Safety is pivotal to contemporary Australian nursing and midwifery theory and practice, particularly regarding its potential to improve nursing and midwifery care in general and to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in particular. Cultural Safety has been developed to recognise the historical, social, material, and political conditions of Australia’s colonial context, specifically from the social positions of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
The current offering of Murra Mullangari commenced on 3rd July but there is provision for late enrolments until a 4th August. The next offering will commence on 2nd October with early bird registration starting on 28th August 2023.
Please note that any bulk purchases can happen anytime. See details at this weblink.
Events and Activities
New GENKE II Snapshots
GENKE II Snapshots summarise sections of the GENKE II Report highlighting the recommendations to strengthen the place of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander nurses and midwives across education and healthcare. Click the links below to view the Snapshots:
- GENKE II Snapshot: An Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nursing and Midwifery Clinical Placement Plan.
- GENKE II Snapshot: A CATSINaM and NMBA Formalised Partnership Agreement.
CATSINaM Student Members, are you looking for Clinical Placement Support?
Northern Territory Primary Health Networks (NT PHN) are offering remote NT clinical placement grants through CRANAplus. Allied health, nursing and midwifery, and medical students living in the Northern Territory or Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander health students across Australia are eligible to apply.
Round 2, 2023 – Open 1July – 31 December 2023. More info and how to apply can be found here: https://crana.org.au/professional-support/awards-scholarships-grants
Advice on Health and Well-being
Studying, working, and juggling the pressures of everyday life may take a toll on your health and well-being. Being a nursing or midwifery student or new graduate can expose you to new situations that you may find confronting and challenging to manage. The Nurse & Midwife support in health and wellbeing provides some advice on support during these times. Check this resource out and let us know how useful it was for you by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: N&M support).
Posts from CATSINaM Members and Partners
Chief Nursing and Midwifery Officer Alison McMillan PSM
- National Nursing Workforce Strategy
- Nurse Practitioner Workforce Plan
- Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) fees and rebates for nurse practitioner general attendance items by 30%.
- The Baseline Report of the Strategic directions for Australian maternity services.
- Australian Institute of Family Studies have developed a practice guide on reproductive coercion.
- National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Workforce Strategic Framework and Implementation Plan 2021-2031
Australian Nurses Memorial Centre Scholarships for Study in 2024
The Australian Nurses Memorial Centre is proud to offer scholarships for nurses and midwives as part of its mission to act as a living memorial by advancing the nursing profession through education. Scholarship applications are open annually from 1 July to 31 August
Pregnancy & Postnatal Care Prioritisation Survey
Australian Living Evidence Consortium (ALEC), the Australian College of Midwives (ACM) and the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RANZCOG) were recently awarded an Australian Government tender to develop new Living Evidence for Australian Pregnancy and Postnatal care (LEAPP) Guidelines. The LEAPP team are keen to hear your views on priority areas for pregnancy and postnatal care. The survey takes around 5-10 minutes to complete, and participation is voluntary, anonymous and much appreciated.
The Prioritisation Survey is now open and closes at 5pm on Friday 4 August. Access the survey here.
- If you have any questions, please contact Dr Tanya Millard at email@example.com
Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care_ June 2023. Health updates to keep your mob safe.
- Bowel Cancer Screening
- Childhood immunisation
- National Health and Climate Strategy – have your say!
- COVID-19 oral treatments
- National Rural and Remote Nursing Generalist Framework 2023-2027
- Keep your lungs strong and healthy this winter
WA Board of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia – Call for nominations for Practitioners and Community members for July 2023.
In accordance with the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (WA) Act 2010 the Minister for Health of Western Australia seeks nominations from suitable people residing in Western Australia for the following vacancies arising in 2024 for the WA Board of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (WA NMBA):
- Practitioner member
- Community members
Further information is available on the WA health website: Western Australia Health Practitioner Boards. Interested persons are invited to submit a nomination to: Board Assurance, Legal and Legislative Services, Department of Health by email to: Legal.Services@health.wa.gov.au. Nominations close: 5.00pm Monday 7 August 2023
Work and Placement training opportunities available with the Cancer Council Victoria
Cancer Council Victoria is providing work and placement training opportunities for Nurses of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background on our support line.
Foundation for Young Australians (FYA) – Seeding Strength Grant, Round 2 IS LIVE!
FYA’s First Nations team Round 2 grants worth $80,000 is available for young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people (aged 16-35) and organisations who are fighting injustice and empowering Blak communities across the country. For more detailed information on types of grants, application timelines, etc, please refer to the Seeding Strength Grant guidelines.
- Expression of Interest: Until 5pm on 13 August 2023. Please don’t hesitate to contact via firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or book a time to talk via this link here.
The Queensland Child Oral Health Study (Queensland Child Oral Health Study (QCOHS) – School of Dentistry – University of Queensland (uq.edu.au)) are keen to employ an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person to support their research community engagement work. The goal of this role is to increase the engagement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and schools in a research project. Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org before August 14th for more information.
This guideline introduces an innovative shift in the way Australian clinicians will assess and manage cardiovascular disease risk to help prevent the devastating consequences of heart disease. Please refer to the CVD Risk Guideline – Stakeholder Promotional Pack.
- Please contact email@example.com if you would like additional information.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner (June Oscar AO), Australian Human Rights Commission.
Seeking input via a survey to inform the development of a National Framework for Action and the First Nations Gender Justice and Equality Institute. The call is to let this survey reach as many First Nations women as possible, so that their incredible expertise and insights are front and centre throughout the development process. First Nations and non-Indigenous women (cis, trans women and gender diverse and non-binary people) are welcome to respond.
Events - Conferences
Townhall for the Referendum – Bethania Community Centre in Logan, Southeast Queensland on Friday the 4th of August from 6 – 8:30pm
Professor Megan Davis, constitutional lawyer who drafted the proposed constitutional changes will present information on the upcoming referendum to recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Australia’s constitution and answer questions from the audience.
CATSINAM members and allies are warmly invited.
Please arrive at 6pm for tea and coffee on arrival for a 6:30pm start and register on the following link to secure your seat.
- This event is being organised by Mob23 and Fiona Rowe Minniss.
- Mob23 are a collective of First Nations people and organisations dedicated to providing easy to understand and accurate information through respectful conversations.
- Please also feel free to circulate this invitation within your health service and community.
- August: Agency for Clinical Innovation (ACI) Transition Care Network Webinar (23rd August 2023 12.30 to 1.30pm ACI Transition Care Coordinators will present what clinicians need to know to support young people transitioning to adult health services.
Details of the webinar are available at: https://aci.health.nsw.gov.au/networks/transition-care/events
Register via this weblink. The session will be recorded for those unable to attend.
- Australasian Hepatology Association Biennial Conference – Melbourne, 8-9 September 2023.
- Oceanic Palliative Care Conference 2023 – Sydney, 13-15 September 2023.
- 2023 National First Nations Closing the Gap Health Conference and 2023 National Indigenous Mental Health & Suicide Prevention Conference- Cairns, 20-22 September, 2023.
- To register, click hyperlink and complete online form. Use ‘3Cov2’ code to avail the 3-for-2 offer.
- The 26th International Nursing Philosophy Conference (The University of Sydney in association with IPONS and the Centre for Nursing Philosophy (ipons-sydney.org) – Sydney, 27-29 September 2023.
- October: 40th CRANAplus Conference – Cairns, 10-12 October 2023.
- November: Homebirth Australia Conference – Sydney 17-19 November 2023.
Homebirth Australia recognises the importance of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander midwives in providing culturally safe and appropriate care to Indigenous women and their families in Australia. We would like to offer CATSINaM members $150 discount for our next Homebirth Australia Conference in Sydney (17-19 November 2023).
- Homebirth Australia Conference offers discount tickets to CATSINaM Members.
- To claim the discount, please forward this CATSINaM newsletter to firstname.lastname@example.org and mention that you would like to take advantage of the discount. A member of our committee with respond with a discount code you can use at the checkout.
We look forward to your feedback and queries. Please email us at: email@example.com or follow our social media platforms.